What is the first thing that comes to your mind when you think of leather? Leather Shoes? Belts? Wallets? Us too! And what color do you picture them in? Black or Brown? We picture them in Technicolor!
How do our leather goods come in so many colour variations?
Like any other natural fabric, leather has a natural color to it which is usually a tan golden brown color. All the other colors of leather are achieved through various processes of dyeing. Different colors are used to dye different types of leather to ensure that the color is absorbed into the leather and does not affect its quality or its look.
There are different ways in which you can dye leather. There are 4 methods which are commonly used to dye leather into different colors.
- With Commercially Available Dyes
- With Mink Oil
- With Vinegar and Rusted Nails – Gives Black Color
- With Natural Dyes like Tea and Coffee Powder, Cranberry and Blueberry juices
Let us have a look at how Leather is dyed using natural dyes…
Tea bags/tea powder is a natural, eco-friendly way of dyeing your leather and is only used to give a very light color. Fruit juices like blackberry and raspberry can also be used to provide a light color.
- A type of tea or coffee is chosen. Around 30 tea bags or its equivalent is used as a dye. Different types of teas give different types of colors ranging from black to a rose colored tinge.
- The tea/coffee is then boiled in 4 liters of water for 2 hours.
- The leather is soaked in this water for a day and a half. For coloring only a portion of the leather, the wet tea bag is rubbed over the desired area as many number of times as coats to get the desired color.
- Leather is then allowed to dry completely for 24-48 hours. It is sometimes dried in the sun to darken the color.
- The Leather is then conditioned using a conditioning oil to retain its suppleness and then buffed using a buffing cloth. This cloth gives the desired shine and finished look.
- Your naturally dyed Colored Leather is ready for Use!
Voganow brings you a range of colored leather goods in bright, vibrant and fun to play with while designing your outfit. Shop for your colored leather accessory today.